City hoping to save millions on road, sewer work

By Mark Squibb

The City of Mount Pearl called a special public meeting March 21 to approve several federal government funding applications, and while the meeting itself only lasted about five minutes, it may save the City millions.

The first motion was to apply for funding to the federal government’s Canada Housing and Infrastructure Fund (CHIF) for the two-phased Park Avenue Infrastructure upgrades project. Phase 1 will consist of installation of a new sanitary trunk sewer along Park Avenue from Dunn’s Lane up to Smallwood Drive, while Phase 2 will consist of installation of a new sanitary trunk sewer from Smallwood Drive up to Stapleton Road. Work will also include new sanitary service lines, storm sewer system upgrades, some water distribution upgrades, full street reconstruction and property reinstatement.

“The purpose of this project is to increase capacity in the city’s sanitary sewer system by diverting sanitary flows through a new sanitary trunk sewer which will be located in Park Avenue,” explained councillor Bill Antle. “Doing so will relieve strain on the existing sanitary trunk sewer, and I think this is a great thing for the City of Mount Pearl.”

The City is applying for $11.7 million for Phase 1 of the project, and just over $6.3 million for Phase 2.

The second motion was to apply for funding, once again to the CHIF, for the full replacement of water, sanitary and storm sewer, asphalt, curb, gutter, and sidewalk on Wyatt Boulevard and Mount Carson Avenue in the amount of $13.6 million, and for funding for a new second water tower, transmission line, and Tower Site Upgrades on Kenmount Hill in the amount of nearly $6.3 million.

Council had previously applied for provincial funding for both the work on Wyatt Boulevard and Kenmount Hill upgrades, and while only one funding stream can be applied to a project, staff determined to apply to both to increase the City’s funding chances.

Councillor Mark Rice noted the City had decided to forge ahead with plans for the water tower rather than wait for the Province to announce it’s own plans for construction of a new water tower relative to the construction of a hospital at Kenmount Crossing. That hospital was announced in November.

“We had already made a decision as a City and as a council that we’re not going to be waiting for anybody else,” said Rice, who then asked if the Province was made aware the City is seeking funding for the new tower.

To that end, Mayor Dave Aker said CAO Cassie Rideout would be giving the provincial government the heads up.

Earlier that same day, the provincial government announced $123.1 million in CHIF funding for infrastructure projects across the province, including replacement of asphalt, sidewalks, and underground water, sanitary and storm systems for Jackman Drive. CHIF projects are cost shared between the federal, provincial, and municipal governments. For Jackman Drive, the federal government will be pitching in $1.8 million, while the City and the Province will both be pitching in $1.3 million each.

Posted on April 1, 2025 .